Can anyone tell me how to.....

Get the late breaking news in the NWRC. From site updates, to important messages. This is the place to stay up on all the news.
gocashbaby
Journeyman

Can anyone tell me how to.....

Post by gocashbaby »

Retire a mare and then breed to her??? :?
Roys
Journeyman

Re: Can anyone tell me how to.....

Post by Roys »

Go to breed horse and fill in the 'horse to retire' with the ID of the mare you want to retire. This puts her into your retired horse pool. If the mare is old enough, breed a 3 YO this week and then next week or later - you can use her to breed a 2 YO. Of course if you are not the sole owner of the mare someone else might beat you to a 2 YO, so you might want to do the 2 YO first and not take the chance of a former owner using her for breeding.
gocashbaby
Journeyman

Post by gocashbaby »

The one I am thinking of is a homebred that I have owned the whole time. Thanks for the help!
gocashbaby
Journeyman

Post by gocashbaby »

Okay, when I go to "breed horse", I do not see a field anywhere that asks for "ID of horse to retire"...I am not sure what I am missing although I am not a technological genius by any stretch of the imagination. Do I go through the exact same process as I normally would when I am breeding a horse? At which point will I see "ID of horse to retire"? (Or is this the same field as "ID of horse to eliminate"?
tracy
Site Admin

Post by tracy »

Ok so you want to breed to one of your active mares. On the Breeding page, typer her ID number in the "ID of Horse To Eliminate: " and then check the "Use Eliminated Horse:" box. That does exactly what you want.

Oh yeah, and make sure you include the sire's ID of course, but leave blank the "Dam-Sire ID:" and "Dam's Dam-Sire ID:" fields.
gocashbaby
Journeyman

Post by gocashbaby »

Great, thanks Tracy. I think I will give that a shot this week. I have a mare whose form has been sliding steadily that I have always liked. Instead of dropping her into a cheap claimer and losing her, I figured I'd give this a whirl (never tried it before). Thanks again for your help!