NWRC to include all tracks?

Get the late breaking news in the NWRC. From site updates, to important messages. This is the place to stay up on all the news.
sledge4
Site Admin

NWRC to include all tracks?

Post by sledge4 »

In an effort to try and increase membership and participation, I have been weighing the idea of opening NWRC to include all tracks. One of my hangups is how to preserve the history of the NWRC and what it was designed to represent when it started over 20 years ago (yes that long ago!!). This residency was the brain-child of Mike Billig, who is long away from the game, but I always felt it was important to keep the NWRC as it was intended. I've been part of NWRC for 19 years, don't remember exactly when I took over, but I would guestimate about 15 years ago.

With that said, times have changed and residencies aren't what residencies were, especially since the game upgraded.

In talking with the longtime members and some of our newest members, it seems there may be a case made that if we open up what tracks we offer, that we may be able to gain some more members which in turn makes for a better game community.

Things such as bigger prizes, more contests, more game talk (real and game), more advice and so on.

It has been suggested that we can/should keep some contest focused on the "original" NWRC tracks and maybe even add more points to things like the TOTM in addition to offering world-wide contests. It will be a challenge to balance the history vs. providing for those who's "home base" is in another part of the Americas or the EAAA.

Please share your thoughts, good, bad or otherwise. Whether you agree or don't agree to opening it up and how we should score contests such as TOTM moving forward if I/we decide to take this direction.

Remember, I am only considering this as I feel I owe the residency this chance. If the end result is we make this change and get no increase in membership, then it's moot.

Thanks,
Will
NWRC Stables: sledge4 | wbrv | camry | rycamkel
capnjubal13
Journeyman

Re: NWRC to include all tracks?

Post by capnjubal13 »

Im for it, I think we should have a HQ track (I.E. CA, WA or maybe LA. ) this is where all our big races will be at. We should also have contest over seas maybe also a around the world contest where we have races at the top tracks around the world(THE WORLD IS MINE). As far as the TOTM contest I like it the way it is(but adding all tracks) although the competion has gotten tight as of late. I would like it if we added a Horse of the month (money won) and maybe a Barn of the month(money won) . Also a track of the month contest (we pick a track and all points won on that track for the month).

Now on to increase Membership: we need to advertise these changes and contest on the forum page and if it takes hold it will be a lot more work?
Maybe think about changing the name (World racing , Terra Racing, something along those lines along with a new outstanding web page.
If we get a lot of new members maybe a rookie of the month contest? adding a few stables of free horses to members (I can help with this)
In short more activity more prizes, Contest, talking and advertising will bring people (build it and they will come).

Or maybe we dont have to go to this extreme!
Update web page, add some tracks, stables of free horses to new members, more contest, breed top sires for prize pool and advertise it all.
Will, you think you could find out from Mike how many people join Derby Fever a month or a year ? cause maybe we are chasing a ghost. what I mean is maybe we should be looking at getting older memebers of sim who are tired of their club or non ativity in thier club instead of newbies.

Do we want all of this ? it has its advantages to be in a small club !

I have to say this, People go where there are winners. We need more top graded winners to Attract Attention, easier said then done I know, The biggest change to my success in sim has been the way I breed I use to breed mid Sires, DS and DDS trying to make nothing into something and relaying on luck. This is a game of percentages, Breeding Top Sires to top DS and DDS does not always get you top Horses but the percentage of getting a top horse goes way up. In ten years of off and on playing I had 1 G3 winner in the last 2 years with the change to breeding I have 1 G1, 6 G2 , 7G3 along with over 20 stake winners *Big differents* and the game is so much more fun.

Will,
Thank you for keeping The NWRC alive and Thank you for all that you do.

Anything I can do for us please let me know
Jubal☠️
9-Grade 1's, 13-Grade 2's, 18-Grade 3's ~~☠️🏴‍☠️
☠️ ☠️ ☠️ ☠️ ☠️ ☠️ ☠️
Yo Ho Yo Ho A Pirates Life for Me ~~~☠️🏴‍☠️
☠️☠️☠️☠️☠️☠️☠️☠️☠️☠️☠️☠️☠️☠️☠️☠️☠️☠️☠️☠️☠️☠️
sledge4
Site Admin

Post by sledge4 »

You made me think of a point I missed... re: adding members, I am talking doing what it takes to add 5-10 for "active" members. That would put us about where we were in our prime days. Just enough to fill contests and give everyone a fighting chance to win good prizes while also earning enough credits via the game to continue these contests.

I like and prefer the small group part as more people, more potential problems.
capnjubal13
Journeyman

Post by capnjubal13 »

sledge4 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:13 pm I am talking doing what it takes to add 5-10 for "active" members.
to Add 10 new members will still take a push ....Lets make the changes then post "Looking for new Members"
do you want to add the free horses ? "and to help any new members get started we have free Horses"
Jubal☠️
☠️ ☠️ ☠️ ☠️ ☠️ ☠️ ☠️
sledge4
Site Admin

Post by sledge4 »

Are you thinking no matter what we do it would be hard to get 10 new members? 10 I get may be a bit of a reach, but certainly 5?

If that's true, then I don't see it being beneficial to change what the residency has been otherwise.
capnjubal13
Journeyman

Post by capnjubal13 »

No what I think is to get 10 new members we will still have to make big changes and the truth is all of the changes we have talked about will make The NWRC better even if nobody else joins !
Really I think we need to know how many *NEW* people join the Sim per month it might be very low?
but with these changes I believe we can pull at least 5 members including old players with new barns
Jubal☠️
☠️ ☠️ ☠️ ☠️ ☠️ ☠️ ☠️
sledge4
Site Admin

Post by sledge4 »

Reached out to Mike... he said not many "new" sign-ups a week/month. More new stables from existing players than anything.

I've been telling Mike he needs to "advertise" the game. I may start doing it on my own... ha!

Easy to find horse racing forums and make posts. I also have access to the DF facebook page. I could start making posts there as well.
capnjubal13
Journeyman

Post by capnjubal13 »

If you do this and it works .....GREAT
If you do this and it dont work But we like it ......GREAT
If you do this and it dont work and we dont like it ......Change it back

I can post on my FB page for Horse racing lovers to join Derbyfever.com(I can explain about the game)
and if you do join come Join THE NWRC and we will help you get started
that will hit over 1000 people and we should get at least 5 out of that .....
Jubal☠️
☠️ ☠️ ☠️ ☠️ ☠️ ☠️ ☠️
capnjubal13
Journeyman

Post by capnjubal13 »

I once played a MMO (Pirates of the burning seas) it had society's much like our Residencies over 250 of them with 5 to 50 members in each. A group of us started society and had 7 members with in 6 month with changes and help to all members we reached 750 members and was the terror of the seas LOL it was all do to "advertising" I did this also in RL as a Mortgage agent
Jubal☠️
☠️ ☠️ ☠️ ☠️ ☠️ ☠️ ☠️
sledge4
Site Admin

Post by sledge4 »

Re-starting this convo... looking for feedback on if we should consider opening up to all tracks, or atleast all "Americas". Maybe still provide extra points for races ran at "official" NWRC tracks.

Let me know.